Sunday, July 8, 2012

Small Kindnesses Matter


We don’t currently need the support of meals or babysitting or big sacrifices, but the little things have made such a difference to our outlook and energy. We would feel alone and overwhelmed without simple gestures. Here are examples.
·         We came home from our first grueling day of getting Chelsey admitted, and Bo’s kindness was a game changer from despair to smiles. We’d been overwhelmed and crying on the hour drive from Baltimore, and we came in the house to find that Bo had cleaned up and placed a small gift for each of us on our desks. I got a green apple flavored chap-stick, and Beth got a car freshener. I journaled about that chap-stick as the highlight of my day.
·         Jaime has contacted us daily and supported us with her consummate thoughtfulness and concern. She cares deeply for both us and Chelsey, and I feel like she’s right with us in the middle of the experience. She sent a book and a meal gift card, which were amazing, but her daily presence and thoughtfulness has been even more important.
·         Maren gave us a gift card for a restaurant long before the crisis hit, but that card reminded us of her kindness and support when we used it to break up the commute to Baltimore after a distressing visit. Her expertise and cheerful, calm insight has been invaluable.
·         A friend from church left some inspiring CDs inside our screen door for us to listen to during the commute and then return to her when done.
·         Friends and rball partners have shown genuine and consistent concern. They don’t know what to say, but they say something anyway or just ask a question. The words don’t matter much. (Rachel Naomi Remen wrote a cool chapter about this – say anything sincere, start the conversation, and be present.)
·         Too many people to mention have expressed support in calls, posts, and messages. They have meant the world to us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised at how thoughtfully and sweetly Jaime and Bo responded. What wonderful daughters you have. :) I'm glad people are being supportive. Thank you for the blog, Russell. It brought me to tears. I really, truly appreciate knowing what's going on and what you and your family need by way of support. It's hard to be on the outside and care about those who are in crisis, and not know what to do. I've often appreciated jaime's blog for the same reason. It's so valuable to have access to your outlet of expression, and it's kind of you to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christina! I love seeing your comments on FB and J's blog. You are unfailingly kind and thoughtful. Writing this blog has been a helpful, cathartic way for us to process the event, and anybody reading and responding is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete