Skip this if you just want an update,
OK? Beth says that this idea is deeper than the blog and seems more about us
than about Chelsey. She was on the fence about posting it.
Accepting a “new normal” helps end a crisis, but where is the
right balance between adjusting to negative conditions and having faith that
they will improve? Would a
strong person expect perfect healing or fight harder to restore everything
100%? Does acceptance and planning mean we are comfortable with the illness,
that it serves us, or that we secretly want it? Does it mean we lack faith or
that we "attracted" the challenge into our life?
Getting
all wrapped up in these questions can be like believing the victims of the recent
Colorado theater shooting were somehow to blame for the deaths, or believing
that they can return 100% to the way they were before the attack. Such
questions are close cousins to the age old, “Why do bad things happen to good people?” Such questions have been beaten to death by better minds than mine,
but here are reactions based on our Chelsey experience.
·
Acceptance is of the
present moment, and faith emphasizes the future. Our acceptance is of the
current reality as we understand it, not of the idea that it will never change.
Planning as if Chelsey has a long-term illness does not mean we give up hope of
eliminating the illness.
·
Acceptance even
involves faith and hope in the present. We can choose how to frame the new
reality we’re accepting – as burden, hardship, and injustice on the one hand,
or as opportunity, temporary growth stimulus, and part of a greater good on the
other hand. Or we could frame it as something else entirely. Acceptance is more
an act of creative faith and storytelling than an act of resignation to an
objective, externally imposed prison.
·
I don’t know if
we/Chelsey somehow attracted or willed this change into being. I do not believe
that we can magically positive-think the delusions out of Chelsey. Beth and I
do believe that it can work for good. We trust that love is the ultimate
guiding principle behind all events, and it still surrounds and permeates our
family. Everything will be fine. In a sense, faith makes acceptance possible.
It’s acceptance and faith, not vs. faith.
·
Our
faith and trust is relative to the big picture, the overall pattern of our
lives, and the greater good of all involved. We can accept what seems to be negative
in the daily details because the overall pattern we see is overwhelmingly
positive.
·
Who is to say that
even this change is necessarily negative in the long run? I’m reminded of an
analogy we read when Chelsey was first born with disabilities. Having a
disabled child is like having your plane rerouted to Holland when you planned
to go to Italy. Holland may violate your expectations, but it can be a
wonderful place in its own right. Chelsey’s past challenges have also created
our greatest strengths and most cherished memories, helping define us. This
could be more of the same.
·
Perhaps full faith and
trust would involve more than acceptance. Perhaps we’ll reach a point where we’ll
embrace this as positive in most important respects, feeling grateful it
happened. I don't know. I’m not there right now, but I’m at least open to good that may come.
Thank you for sharing these thoughts. You and Beth are so strong, I have always admired you both.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Wendy, and the admiration is mutual!
ReplyDeleteJust remember... some situations are a blessing in disguise. It took me five years to look back on my psychotic breakdown that occurred when I was 15 and see how it changed my life in ways I could have never imagined... all for the good! ~Meghan :)
ReplyDelete