·
We are relatively well equipped for this as parents. We’ve been
toughened and seasoned in past healthcare wars. We have more time and
short-term flexibility than we’ve ever had before. We’re familiar with mental
health issues; we can talk her through stuff, and we are informed, educated
partners with the staff. We are resilient. We’re experts at navigating
healthcare systems, insurance, and government bureaucracies (well, Beth is
anyway). We have faith (well, Beth does anyway).
·
Chelsey has what it takes. Time and time again, she has shown
courage, patience, persistence, and determination in the face of seemingly
insurmountable challenges. She stoically accepts and moves forward. These
snapshots made me proud and teary:
o
She has been shouting staccato statements about who she is and is
not, demanding that people treat her right. In the imaginary TRON world she’s
been inhabiting, Programs are second class citizens to Users and Designers. The
other day she screamed in rage, body tense and face red, “I. AM. NOT. A. PROGRAAAAAM!”
o
She was being stubbornly uncooperative, refusing to go from one
room to another after we explained how much we wanted her to be strong and work
on the things she could influence to get back home. We ended by encouraging her
to show us how strong she was and extending a hand to help her up to. Instead
of coming, she grabbed Beth’s hand and squeezed it fiercely with her muscles
bulging and her face turning red. Even the stubbornness is part of her strength
that helps her through.
o
Chelsey was crumpled on the floor yesterday as we got up to leave.
After a reminder about the path back home, she kind of whimpered an OK and
dragged herself off the floor to give us a good-bye hug. I could just see her
mustering her strength, weighing her resolve, and deciding what she was willing
to do. Choosing between losing it and shouting vs. going limp vs. getting up
and moving on. Getting up off the floor may seem small, but it struck me as
momentous and courageous at the time.
·
Good has come of this, and more will come.
o
Chelsey’s further developing strength and resilience, deepening
already remarkably deep resources. I also see flashes of assertiveness and
fierceness that I haven’t seen before. She has been timid and hated to so much
as order for herself at McDonald’s in the past, but she’s now pounding on the
nurse’s window and shouting to demand food or a glass of water. There’s good
and bad in her methods, but this may reveal some hidden strengths that will
serve her well.
o
Beth and I are a good team and getting better. This draws us closer
and makes us more appreciative of each other. We genuinely enjoy each other’s
company (although I do wish Beth could develop more of a taste for gallows
humor).
o
For all involved, there’s potential to deepen traits like
compassion, empathy, service, resilience, and persistence. Many of our existing
strengths are tailor-made to handle this challenge, and this will broaden and
deepen those strengths.
I worked with Chelsey at Success last year and I just got around to checking my work email for the first time this summer. I've been sitting at the library for an hour... reading this blog. Mesmerized by your words, just as I was always mesmerized by Chelsey's brilliance. I have bipolar myself, and was once locked up with a bunch of crazy people in an attempt to get better. I can empathize with Chelsey as the patient, and with you all as I'm now a parent myself. I love her strong-will and stubbornness. Thank you for sharing this... I'm cheering for Chelsey and praying for her as I read on. Please give her my love. ~Meghan :)
ReplyDelete