Part of
our visits take place in a common area open to the other 15+ patients in the
unit, and the scenes are often disturbing. Brief nudity seems fairly common,
and I’ve seen more adult pull-ups than I ever thought I’d see. Patients wander
over and stand uncomfortably close or sit down with us, sometimes shouting or
gesturing, sometimes wanting a hug. One guy instantly pounces on any vacant
chair to stack it with the others, and he attempted to drag Chelsey’s chair to
the stack while she was still in it. Two or three staff are usually stationed
strategically around the room to untangle the worst of the chaos.
Five or
six were in the room one day being so loony that I couldn’t help laughing. A
guy was kneeling on the floor in a sea of crushed orange goldfish crackers,
patting anybody within reach on the leg or butt; people were walking wide
circles around him. The chair stacker was doing his thing while repeating the
same nonsense words. One female wandered in without a top, and another was
crying about a patient messing with her. Another guy rocked himself and shouted
in the corner. The staff was trying to herd the stray cats but mostly seemed
resigned to the uncontrolled craziness.
As we
walked out I started giggling about how it had reminded me of the Jack-Attack
scene at the end of The Incredibles. Jack is exhibiting all his bizarre talents
like laser vision and self-combustion. The babysitter is just sitting there
numb, defending herself with a mirror and fire extinguisher but letting Jack
destroy the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment