Chelsey
has been very well grounded, polite, and cooperative. She understands where she
is and is reasonably content. She still needs monitoring, but the meds have
done their job.
However,
they may have gone too far. There’s a fine line between being dangerously delusional
and being a zombie, and she’s on the zombie side of the line. She’s always
tired. She can’t maintain interest in anything for long. She can’t tell stories
or even follow plot twists. We brought her a course catalog with some fun
classes, and it took her forever to painstakingly read each word and process
the information before moving onto the next potential class. I would estimate
that her processing speed and capacity is about a third of what it was
pre-crisis.
The
worst part is not the diminished horsepower, but the diminished zest and
excitement. She’s wading through emotional and mental peanut butter. It’s like
seeing a shadow of who she was, and it’s painful. It feels like too high of a
price to pay for the relative certainty of safety. If we keep her safe and
alive but she’s not herself and not very much alive, are we really helping her?
I’ve struggled
with severe depression in the past and should probably stay on meds for the
rest of my life to be safe. However, I made the conscious choice to get off all
depression meds over a year ago, in part because I hate how they change who I
am. I feel artificial and manipulated on psychiatric meds. Meds helped me in
the past and may help me in the future, and I would not advocate my choice for
anybody else. Nevertheless, my choice and rationale makes me mourn the changes
in Chelsey and second-guess the med-heavy approach.
We’re
hoping there’s a middle ground. Perhaps current meds and dosages were necessary
to stop the crisis episode, but we may be able to reduce the dosages or alter
the meds now that she’s stable. There has to be a better balance. She can’t
advocate for herself, and we can’t bear to consign her to a half-alive life.
The real Chelsey is zesty, and the meds are masking that.
Transitions can be painful. Hope meds can be adjusted in due course for a better condition, more suitable for Chelsey. Love KFR
ReplyDelete